Accidents happen, no matter how hard we try to avoid it and it’s so ironic that the more you try to stay away from it, the more it happens. So knowing what to do during those unexpected situations can mean the difference between loosing and saving your tooth. Remember in any situation, knowing is half the battle.
So here are some tips during the most common dental emergencies in Canberra:
- For a knocked-out permanent tooth, always try to keep it moist, if possible try returning the tooth back in the socket but be careful not to touch the roots, if it can’t be done, just place it between your cheeks and gums or in a glass of milk. See your emergency dentist in Canberra right away.
- For a cracked tooth, the best thing to do is to rinse your mouth immediately with warm water. Remember to put a cold towel or cold compress on your face to prevent swelling.
- When you accidentally bit your tongue, immediately clean the affected area and apply cold compress. You also put ice on the affected area and let it stay there until it melts.
- For toothaches, rinse your mouth with salt and warm water, brush your teeth or floss it to remove bits of food that might be caught between your teeth. Do not self-medicate, book in for an appointment with your emergency dentist in Canberra immediately.
- For trapped foods in tooth, try brushing and flossing first, never try to remove stuck pieces of food using ,a scissor, a knife, a pin or any sharp or pointed instruments because this could cause further damage to your tooth or even hurt you in the process.
These tips can be of great help when you encounter these emergencies but always keep in mind that in any emergency, the most important thing is to focus and always give your 100% attention at all times, and above all, DON’T PANIC.